Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20

So, uh.... remember how I climbed a tree yesterday? And how I reached and jumped for the really (REALLY) good fruit on the high branches?

Yeah, so do I. And so do my calves, thanks for asking.

I can hardly move.

I'm not kidding. I stepped out of bed this morning and thought I might just die from the pain of my feet hitting the floor. Darnit, if my calf muscles stretching out won't be the death of me, I don't know what will...

It turns out that when your calves are accustomed to a (very) leisurely stroll around the block, and then are subjected to the kind of insane workout that only a fruit-crazed fiend can put them through, there are serious consequences to be paid.

......................................................................................................

And in other fruit-picking related news, let me just tell you (in case you didn't already know this), that it is not a good idea to carry eight pounds of peaches around in a WalMart bag. It turns out they give away boxes at fruit orchards for a reason. And that reason would be so you can carry fruit that's been boxed evenly. While the WalMart bag may be easier to carry (it requires one hand/arm), the fruit bangs around and gets bruised (read: ruined). By the time I got around to unpacking my plastic bag of peaches last night, they were a soupy mess.

Not all of them were completely mashed and ruined, though. I saved five peaches. ... That's right. I had five salvageable peaches in my eight pound bag. The rest of them, I peeled and pitted and pureed. I am now the proud owner of 9 cups of frozen fruit puree. Not that the puree won't be delicious on waffles or in ice cream... it will be, and I know it... but so much for my plan of eating fresh fruit all week.

Don't be like me, people. Box your fruit. I can't say it strongly enough... Box. Your. Fruit.