Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 17

I talked to my mom this morning. (Yeah, on Father's Day, I called home and talked to my mom. ... In my (our) defense, it was before 7:00 AM, and I'm sure Dad was nowhere near able and/or wanting to acknowledge a ringing phone.) Here is an actual snippet from our early morning convo:

Mom: Good morning! How are you?

Me: Oh, I'm fine. Except... you know, I'm tired. Because I have cancer. And I have surgery this week. So, I'm not sleeping well. How are you?

Mom: Oh, I'm fine. Except... you know, I'm tired. Because my daughter has cancer. And she has surgery this week. So, I'm not sleeping well.

- Insert raucous laughter here, because we think we're hilarious when we mock the cancer and/or impending surgery.

Also, we both know good and well that laughter will be off the table, come Thursday, for a good 3-4 weeks. Not that I'll be miserable and lose my sense of humor. (Oh, no, the sense of humor stays.) But without any ab muscles, my true laugh has to go into hiding and I affect what I refer to as "The Katharine Hepburn laugh".



It's not quite as fun as my own natural laugh, but you must admit that the Katharine Hepburn trill has a certain charm to it.  I'll be doing live demos by July 1st. (I hope.)