Saturday, June 2, 2012

June 2

This is the first thing I saw this morning. God bless Facebook! (Oh, and James Owen, since he's the one who posted this with the instruction "Go forth, and be Awesome". I heart James.)



I'm happy to report that it has, in fact, been a great day. Even if I did wake up at 4:30 and couldn't get back to sleep. (I finally gave in and got out of bed at 5:00. The good news? I got three loads of laundry done, not to mention to and home from the grocery store by 7:30.)

Since I was up anyway (and all of my chores were way past done), I decided to go to the breakfast and Morningside at the Singles Conference. (In an effort to not let the cancer rule my life, I'm trying to be a little more sociable. Now, I can't really do a whole lot in the evenings, because I'm too tired. And we all know there's no way I was going anywhere near the bowling and/or roller skating activities they had planned ... Mostly because I don't even want to think about how badly I could hurt myself with either or both of those plans. So, basically, it was Morningside or nothing for me at this conference.)

Anyway, I got myself dressed and across town by 8:30 and I'm glad that I did. (And I'm not ONLY saying that because there was a breakfast buffet with all-I-could-eat bacon involved.)

The speaker was exactly what I needed. (John Rhode. ... I hope I spelled that right. He was The Biggest Loser winner, Season 12.) I tell you, the talk was basically written for me.

Except for the part where he talked about how hard he had to work to stay on the ranch and how determined he was to do his best, and how he knew that he'd stay on the show for as long as the Lord wanted him to. That part wasn't written specifically for me - as I'm not on a televised weight loss competition. -- Oh, except that even that part of his talk hit home, in that I am also fighting a hard fight. I'm working really hard to beat what often seems unbeatable. And I'm in this for as long as the Lord wants to keep me here.

So, see... pretty much everything he had to say struck home:

* The Lord knows who I am, what I need and what I am capable of.
* I have exactly as much strength and determination as I will need to do what I need to do.
* My prayers are not answered, even if I don't get the answer that I asked for or expected.
* There is a plan. It might not always seem like there's a plan, and it might not make logical sense, but it's always there.

These are all things that I know. I mean, I know this stuff. ... But life's been a little crazy, and I needed to hear these truths coming from someone else to really register them.

My goodness, I love timing! I mean, sometimes I hate it... Like, at 4:35 in the AM, when I absolutely cannot fall back to sleep. ... But when I can look back on the day and realize that my waking up extra early set things in motion for me to be awake, dressed and ready to be somewhere that I needed to be at 8:30, I am grateful for an early morning that was the gateway to get me where I needed to be today. Hallelujah and amen.