Saturday, July 14, 2012

July 14

Thank you!

I pretty much owe the entire world a thank you card right now. (That's not much of an exaggeration, either, I'm sorry to say.) I have a stack of thank you cards that's at least 5 inches tall calling my name, even as I type this. I have cards to write in response to friends/family who've sent packages, cards, flowers and donations. I have cards to write to thank my friends (or their husbands, really) for coming over to help my mom with the car earlier this week. I need to thank Liz for the watermelon and Rebecca for the eggs. And the list goes on and on...

I'm telling you, I have a lot of thank you cards to get out there. Right before surgery, I had Jo pick me up two books of stamps at the post office. Now, I'm starting to wonder if that will be enough.

Here's the problem, the reason why I have all of these reasons to say thank you piling up, with nary a thank you card going out... Remember how I told you that I'm having a hard time typing with my right hand? Yeah, you should see the mess that I get when I try to write with it. It's comparable to second grade boy handwriting, on a good day. (On a bad day, my 3 yr old niece could smoke me in a handwriting contest.)

So, to any and all of you out there (and I know there are a lot of you) who've done something really nice for me... Just know that it's coming. As soon as I'm able to write legibly, a thank you card is on its way. (Just don't hold your breath. My guess is that it's gonna take me getting off the pain meds before I get my motor skills back, and we're still a good week or two out from the day that I think I'll feel good enough to be narcotic-free.)

In the meanwhile, please know that I am grateful for every kindness that has been shown me, in varying forms and by literally dozens of people. I lead a charmed life (outside of the cancer ... and the subsequent surgery) and I'm so incredibly grateful for all of the people who contribute to my comfort, my happiness and my well-being. Thank you, to all of you, for all that you do.