Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 17

I know, I know... there has been a certain dearth of posts here at Cancer Girl Central.

It's because Cancer Girl has been sleeping. A lot.

Here's a typical day:

I go to bed between 9:00 and 10:00. I wake up at 5:00 to go on my morning walk. We're usually home by 7:00, and I'm back in bed for my morning nap by 8:00. I usually wake up at about noon, but have been known to sleep past 2:00. (I am not kidding. I get more sleep in that morning nap than I do in any other sleeping stretch of the day/night.) I'm usually up from 2:00 - 4:00, at which point I go back to bed for my afternoon nap. Mom wakes me up from my afternoon nap at 7:00, so we can go on our night walk, which is usually over by 8:00 or 8:30. Then I come home, read for a second, take a handful of stool softeners and laxatives, and put myself right back to bed.

Do the math. I sleep far more of the daylight hours than I'm awake for, and of the hours that I'm awake, I generally spend 2-3 of them on walks in the neighborhood.

I'm so tired that I have been known to fall asleep mid-sentence in conversation, holding a cup of water in my hand or a plate of food in my lap. I routinely wake up with a start on the toilet. ... I'm awake enough to get myself into the bathroom, but I fall asleep as soon as I sit down. Literally. Multiple times a day, I scare myself half to death when I start peeing and wake up, totally disoriented. Sad, but true, story.

I haven't been blogging because I've been sleeping. In the overall scheme of things, I've decided that sleep is probably going to help heal my body faster than anything else I can do. So, when I am tired, I put myself to bed. And I get tired a lot.

But this sleeping-to-get-stronger plan seems to be working. At least a little bit. Our mile walk time has improved from an hour to 45 minutes in just one week. *I can now stand with my left hand on my hip - something that I couldn't do last week, because the internal swelling was so extreme that to have any pressure coming at me from the outside was excruciatingly painful.

*Disclaimer: as long as I have my binder on. Without the binder, this is not happening.

So, I'm improving. Slowly (very, very slowly), but surely.

I tell you, this surgery has been an entirely different animal than the last two were. Mom and I talk, all the time, about how different - about how much harder this has been - since day one. But the swelling is going down. I'm getting a little more mobility. I'm getting better, even if I'm too busy taking naps to talk about it online on a regular basis.