Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 16

I had appointments with three different doctors this past week, for three very different conditions, and yet, they all had very much the same thing to say in regards to treating me.

Out of the mouths of three or more witnesses, folks: My body is in stress.

No. Freaking. Kidding.

I pulled a muscle in my back last week. I wasn't doing anything extraordinary, just bending over, when I felt everything in the right side of my lower back tighten and constrict. I straighted myself out as quickly as I could, in hopes that standing up would undo the knots, but the damage was done.

As a result, I have been limping around for a week now, leaning on the counter or against a wall for support whenever I can. I can't stand in one place for more than five minutes, or the left side of my back starts to spasm. With muscles in my back having been pulled, the muscles in my stomach have been compensating. (This is particularly painful, because as you may recall, I don't have a whole lot of muscle in my stomach these days.)

I'm moving so slowly and so carefully that I feel more than a little like I've stepped into a time machine and gone back ten weeks.

Further proof that my body is in stress:

* Hair loss. I mean, hair loss. I am losing four brush-fulls of hair on the days I wash it, and an easy tennis-ball sized bunch of it two or three times a day on the other days of the week. I walked home from church this morning, pulling the trailing hairs out and leaving them behind me. ... The birds are gonna love me for helping them build their nests! ... I'm just glad that it seems to be an even hair loss (read: not any one part of my head seems to be balding), and that I have so much hair (and it's curly, to boot!) that I'm not particularly worried that anyone else will be able to see how much it has thinned.

* Acne. I mean, like, teen acne. It's vile.

* My teeth hurt. I've had the most bizarre pressure behind my bottom wisdom teeth, causing my throat to swell and my ears to hurt.

* I can't get enough sleep. I've fallen asleep on the couch every afternoon that I've been home this week, and have still been tired enough to be in bed by 9:00 six of the last seven nights.

So, my back hurts. (Which means my stomach hurts - more than it has been/should be.) I'm losing hair. I'm breaking out. My teeth are making my whole head hurt, and I am spending almost as many hours a day sleeping as I do waking. Like I (and the good doctors said), my body is in stress.

The good news is that I don't feel particularly stressed.

Don't get me wrong, I would just about KILL for some Ibuprofen right now... But at least I'm not feeling the stress emotionally. For that, I am grateful.