Saturday, September 29, 2012

September 29

Do you see these shoes?


Do you SEE them? ... I wore them last night.

That's right. I'm 5'10" and I am the proud owner of more than one pair of four inch heels. Few things thrill me more than being one of the tallest people in a crowded room. (What does thrill me more than being one of the tallest people in a crowded room, you ask? When a man who is still a good 2-3 inches taller than me, even when I'm in heels, comes over to introduce himself. ... It doesn't happen very often, but it is thrilling when it does. Every time.)

The bank opened another branch while I was out for surgery, and last night was the Grand Opening Event. (Read: Fancy dress-up party with pretty little finger foods and hand-dipped chocolates.) Thus, the occasion for breaking out the high heels was born. *Gulp*

While I am a dress-wearing kind of girl, I have been rocking the ballet flats with my skirts for the last three+ months. One of the many things you don't know you use stomach muscles for - until you don't have them - is wearing heels. Or any shoe with an elevation, actually. There's an incredible balancing act that takes place when your feet aren't directly parallel with the ground. One of the many things I've learned in the last two years is, if you don't have the ab control  to keep yourself upright, it's best to keep your feet in flips or other flats.

But it's been over three months since surgery. Last night was special. It was a fancy party. I wore a dress that fit. I pinned my hair up (even its thinned state, it still takes almost 20 bobby pins to hold my hair up, fyi). I. Wore. Heels.

I walked into the courtyard and was met by two friends whose eyebrows shot right up as their eyes went directly to my feet. "You're wearing HEELS!", they said. They asked if I was gonna be okay. I assured them  that I was.

And then I promptly walked into the bank and found a wall to lean up against. When I had to move (in an effort to mingle), I found a table with a high-backed chair that I could keep one hand on (for balance, and to take some of the hit off my stomach) while I chatted it up. After an hour of standing, I called it quits, broke all social etiquette and plopped down in a chair in the lobby.

Read: While I did wear heels last night, for approximately three hours, I didn't actually move around in them all that much. In fact, I leaned against a wall, a chair, a friend ... anything I could find ... for much of the time, until my body literally caved and I had to sit down. But I wore them. And I rocked them, all 6'2" of me.

And then I woke up this morning and tried to roll over to get out of bed. Uhhhhh... Not happening. Holy MOLY, was wearing/standing/leaning in heels a core workout and a half!

I mean, I knew that wearing the heels would work my stomach. And work me, they did. I could feel it last night, but I had thought that finding something - anything - to lean against would help. (The sick thing is, it probably did help. A lot. And I'm still this sore.)

Don't get me wrong. They are beautiful, glorious shoes and they were worth it. ... But I'll tell you right now that I am NOT wearing heels to church tomorrow. For sure.