Friday, October 19, 2012

October 19 - late

In the way of an health update, I just wanted to share that I got the results of my blood work this afternoon:

Kidney Function: Normal
Thyroid Function: Normal
Iron Count: Normal
Triglycerides: High.

The good news is, I am not anemic. I can now go into my oral surgeon's office Monday morning, confident that him pulling two teeth (and the subsequent loss of blood) won't have a negative impact. (Read: kill me.)

The bad news is, if my triglycerides are high, they're gonna try and make me stop eating butter and/or bacon. Again. (I hate it when they test my cholesterol. Hate it. I'd almost rather have a new tumor than high cholesterol, because with the cancer everyone's like "eat whatever you want, you have CANCER!", with high cholesterol it's a different story.)

I'm glad my kidney, my thyroid and my blood are all fine. I mean, I am super duper glad. ... I am a little frustrated, because this means that we're back to square one as far as figuring out why I'm dizzy, light-headed and get tired so easily/quickly, but at least I know it's not my blood.

Funny story: My primary care doctor and I were chatting on Wednesday, and she was coming up with reasons I might be having dizzy spells (I get head rushes like nobody's business and try to always have a wall close or a counter to lean against in case I get extra woozy). Her theory for the low blood pressure and dizziness was dehydration. ... Ya know, I might buy that if I wasn't drinking between 64-100 oz of water a day. ... When I explained to her that it's not POSSIBLE that I could be dehydrated and gave her the low down on exactly how much fluid goes into this body on a daily basis, she amended her theory.

I walked out of the doctor's office with three prescriptions: migraine medication (I've been tingling a lot this week, and that's never a good sign), muscle relaxers (the theory is that tight/sore muscles in my neck and upper back are possibly what is causing the headaches, I am to take muscle relaxers before hitting the migraine meds) and a happy pill (I have no idea what kind of antidepressant this is... she just called it "a happy pill".) Do I feel depressed, emotionally? No. Am I having trouble sleeping? No. ... But I am flat out exhausted and my body has been through the ringer, so if her happy pill will help me feel a little more energized, I will take it. She also gave me a B12 shot.

So, we still don't know why I'm tired. I am pretty sure I'm tired because my body's been in a constant state of recovery for a couple years now, and it just takes time to get back to 100%. (At this point, I'd be thrilled if I could have 72%, but I'll take whatever I can get.)

This week has been hard. In part, physically, because I did a lot over the weekend last week, so I didn't have the down time I usually have to recover. It has also been difficult, emotionally, in that I had not one, but two, medical professionals have freakouts about my energy levels. I am used to being tired, moving slowly and being a little dizzy. This is my normal. I wish it wasn't, but it is. ... To have my PT and my doctor both coming at me, telling me that my normal is NOT normal (or safe, or okay) threw me off in a major way. I know they care about me. I know they want to help me, and I know they were just expressing concern at my overall fatigue.

I almost wish I was anemic or that my thyroid was out of whack, because it would explain so much. But both my blood and my thyroid are fine. ... I don't know why my little body gets so tired. I wish it didn't. I wish I could just lie down and take a nap for a week. Maybe that would help.

Tell you what, I'm gonna try it. Next week, when my wisdom teeth are gone and the hard drugs are back in my life, I will sleep. Maybe a solid week of nothing but smoothies and naps will fix me right up. ... It's worth a shot, right?