Monday, October 8, 2012

October 8

This morning, I had an interesting experience.

I woke up at 6:00 (this is my normal wake up time, but it's amazing how much better I feel at 6:00 AM when I wake up on my own vs. waking up to an alarm), threw on some clothes, and headed to the WalMart. I'd made a list yesterday of some things I needed to get there (some things are monumentally cheaper there, like cereal and Blue Bell ice cream). As I headed over to grab a tube of turkey sausage, I paused in front of the pork.

And that's when it hit me.

The urge to cook.

I stood there, in front of the boneless pork chops, head tilted to the right, and thought, "I have stuff for salad. It would take about the same amount of time to nuke a potato as it would to George Foreman a pork chop. I could totally make a real dinner!"

People, this is a big day. This is the first time I have thought about cooking (and yeah, I know I'm using that word loosely, as this meal plan involves a microwave and a George Foreman grill, but still... this is me, thinking about cooking) in roughly four months.

I have been living on wheat bagels, cold cereal, vanilla yogurt and Progresso soup since I came home from the hospital in July. (The good news is, I can eat cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner and never get sick of it.)

Today, I bought pork chops, with the intent to cook them myself. I am getting better.

I am still weak. (So weak that I can't pull a grocery cart free if it's in any way stuck to the rest of the chain.) And I still get tired more easily and often than I wish I did, but today I felt the urge to cook a real meal.

It's a red letter day!