Thursday, November 22, 2012

November 22

Keep your eyes open to your mercies.
The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life.

--Robert Louis Stevenson

Today is Thanksgiving. (I heart Thanksgiving. Big time.) In honor of the holiday, I thought I'd make a little (or maybe not-so-little) list of the things I am thankful for today:

Turkey
Fudge
Pumpkin Rolls
My nieces
Theater popcorn
My relationship with my mother
Family pictures
Holiday traditions
The kindness of strangers
The generosity of my friends
Egg Nog
Pumpkin flavored cream cheese (on a whole wheat bagel)
Technology
A multitude of cheesy Christmas movies on Netflix
My Christmas tree
A soft bed
Feather pillows
Modern Medicine
Mint M&M's
My cousins
My favorite aunt(s)
My grandparents
My nephews
The gospel
My job
The children in my life
My brothers
My sister (and sisters-in-law)
My dad
Christmas music
My car (and the radial dial radio in it)
The ability to wear heels again
The sound of Salvation Army bells
Infectious laughs and easy smiles
Really good hot chocolate
Granny's dressing
The sunrise/sunset (every day!)
Good books
Water (it is truly my favorite drink in all of the land)
Electricity
Oranges
Memories
Friendship/Relationships
Jellied cranberry sauce in a can
Bunnies and kittens
Really good Kleenex (by which I mean: Puffs, not actual Kleenex)
Tree-shaped Reese's
Honey-baked ham
Indoor plumbing and hot water
The diversion that is Nathan Fillion/Castle
Jeans (they're so warm!)
The heater (it's a steady 74+ in here, people, and I love it!)
The smell of cinnamon/cloves
This great country that I live in
My hometown
Music
Art
Words
My health (such as it is)
The ability to love and be loved
My life, every day

My goal today has been much the same as it is every other day: To have an awareness and appreciation for all of the good things and people who bless my life, to be as grateful as I can be. (Because - my goodness gracious - it is, indeed, a blessed life.) But today, because it's Thanksgiving, I let myself make a list. (You know I love them!)

I hope you also know that I love you, whoever you are, reading this. (Even more than I love a list. ... Which, if you know me at all, you know is a lot!) So very much of why I love my life is because of the love I feel from the people in it. Thank you for being part of my life, part of me.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, Y'ALL!

*Gobble, gobble*