Saturday, November 3, 2012

November 3

In retrospect, the post I wrote last night may make it sound like I'm in complete and utter agony and my mouth isn't getting better. That is not the case. At all.

While I am in a fair amount of discomfort at any given point in time, I wouldn't call it "agony". I have certainly known worse pain in my life. (The upside of having my wisdom teeth removed AFTER having had three major surgeries - and one outpatient procedure - in the last two years is that I have a different perspective on pain, and the process of healing, than I used to. Compared to what I have done/felt, this has been a walk in the park.)

And I am feeling much, MUCH better than I was a week, or even a few days ago.

Does it still hurt to talk and/or smile? Yes, it does. Like the devil. And does the talking and/or smiling that I have to do in the course of normal human interaction wear me out and make the muscles in my face hurt? Yes, they do. Like the devil.

But the pain is getting better. It is much more manageable than it was at the beginning of the week. (On Thursday, I went all day long without opening one single prescription bottle... Impressive, no?) And the swelling is going down.

I'm hopeful that next week, I'll be able to get an entire forkful of food into my mouth and that Tylenol will be the only pill bottle I will need.

Mission: Do Not Talk to Anyone All Day is still definitely a go, because, frankly... I love that it's 10:30 in the morning and my pain level hasn't gone up since I woke up this morning, but I did want to check back in and report that I am not dying from the pain. While I would not recommend a wisdom tooth extraction a the age of 38 to anyone, it's certainly not the worst thing that I have ever experienced. ... And it gives me one heck of an excuse to go through the Chick-fil-A drive-thru. (I heart their cookies and cream milkshake. A lot.)