Tuesday, December 18, 2012

December 18

Holeeeeeee moly, people!

So, get this. A few weeks ago, one of my FB friends posted the following status:

It is official. I have chosen the photo for my Christmas portrait surprise. Let the Magic begin. :)

This was my response:

I don't even know what this means, but I'm still filled with giddiness and delight! I do love posts with the words "Christmas" and "surprise" in them!

Fast forward from December 5th to December 17th, when I picked up my mail and found this in my mailbox:



That's right. It's ME! I was the Christmas portrait surprise! ... And I thought I was giddy before!

In the words of my beloved mother, "Who gets a portrait for Christmas?!" ... Cancer Girl. That's who!

Seriously, how amazing is that?! My friend Vicky (who, I'll have you know, I have never actually met in real life... she is one of the many sweet and kindred souls who found their way to me after the infamous post of June 16th) drew this. By hand. With five different pencils. It took over 15 hours.

To say that I am touched would be the understatement of the century.

I am honored. I am humbled. I am grateful. I am amazed. I wonder, sometimes - quite often, actually - why so many people are so good to me. My goodness gracious, I lead such a charmed life!

Vicky was kind enough to send along photos she'd taken of the work in progress. (You'd better know I'm posting them here! Far be it from me to withhold a work of art from the world... esp if that work of art is... uhm... me. You know, just in case Nathan Fillion is trolling the web, looking for a detailed step-by-step portrait-in-the-making of his one true love. I wouldn't want to let the man down.)



Stage 1




Stage 2

                                                                  Stage 3
                                                                    
Stage 4



            Stage 5
                                                                                                                         

 
Stage 6


I am just tickled pink. I love this soooooooo much!

What a thoughtful gift. What a labor of love, really. ... And the woman has never even met me! (Which makes me love the gift - and her - even more.)

Stage 3 is my favorite. I'm not sure if it's the side-by-side comparison with the picture she was going off of, or if it's the Cruella DeVille look that I'm rocking. Hard.

Vicky, thanks again. (And again. And again.) I love it! .... And, honestly, I don't know that my hair has ever looked better. Do you think I could put you in charge of that every day for the rest of my life? I would love nothing more than having these flowing "book cover girl" locks with me everywhere I go. I'm not kidding, even one little bit. Could we work something out?

Merry Christmas to me, from a friend I've never met...

Man alive, I love my life!