Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The very best part of being tired all the time.

Beyond the obvious perk of sleeping 8-10 hours a night without the use of sleep aids, the best part of being tired all the time is the view from my couch.

Here's how my typical day goes: I roll out of bed at 6:00, and am on my way to work by 6:30. I usually get home between 3:30 and 4:00. And then I hit the couch.

Sometimes I lie down for an hour and then get up and make something (like a bowl of soup or maybe an egg sandwich... I'm so gourmet) for dinner. Sometimes I hop in the shower, and wash my hair so it can dry before I go to bed. (Showering still wipes me out. Esp if I have to wash my hair. You know, the two days a week that I do that. I can't shower in the morning and still get ready for work in 30 minutes, so I take care of that in the evening.)

By 5:30, I'm usually back to camping on the couch. And I stay there until bedtime. (AKA: 9:00 PM.) Sometimes I fall asleep before bedtime and then wake up in the middle of the night and walk back to my bedroom, but, without fail, I am on the couch for hours every evening.

And the view is magnificent.


I tell you what, I love my couch. I love my little apartment. I love the big sliding glass door in my living room that lets a little bit of the outside world in. I love the canvas that is the Arizona sky at sunset.

One of the very best things about having gotten sick is that it forced me to slow down. (Not that I was ever one to be going really fast through life, but still...)

I'm pretty sure that the very best part of being tired all the time is that I am parked on my couch every night, in front of a view like this.

It's moments like this that I am grateful for a body that doesn't work as well as it used to, for the opportunity to be here. Now. Watching the sun set.