Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Today, I hate the cancer.

I mean, it's not like I ever LOVE it...

But today? Today, I hate it.

I got a text from a virtually lifelong friend this afternoon that one of our mutual friends had surgery today. The results came in, showing what they feared. Colon cancer. An agressive variety, at that.

Our friend is under 40. He is the picture of health and happiness. He and his wife just had a new baby last year. He's a young father of a young family. And today, they found out that he has an aggressive cancer.

I am heartsick.

I am so (SO!) grateful for modern medicine. I am so grateful that they were able to catch it as early as they did. I am so grateful for the surgery and treatment options that are available. I'm so grateful for the hope that treatment can give.

I am also sick. And I am angry. And I am sad. And I am worried, for this man I know (and everyone else I know who loves him). The road he's about to go down is going to be hard. I mean, really, really hard.

Bless his sweet heart.

Man alive, I hate the cancer. It breaks my heart, to know that it is touching the life of another friend. We need to find a cure. Like, yesterday.