Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A peach (or 7.5) a day...

Did you know?


It's PEACH SEASON in the desert!

Seriously. It's the middle of May, and the peaches at Schnepf Farms are glorious!

This was Jo's and my second annual Peach Festival Outing. (To see a pic of me "climbing" an apricot tree last year, click here.) Because Jo's the best friend/chauffeur ever, she picked me up at 6:30 and we hit the McD's drive-thru for our favorite breakfast and then we made the drive to Queen Creek.

My favorite part of the Peach Festival weekend (other than all that quality time with Jo, of course!) is the picking of sun-ripened fruit right off the tree and... CHOWING DOWN, right there in the middle of a peach orchard.

Seriously. Have you ever eaten a ripe peach straight off the tree? It's like heaven!

I totally ate five and a half (only half of one of them was ripe) peaches while I was filling my box. Peach juice dripping off my hand, sliding down my chin, streaking my yellow gingham shirt... Heaven!

Speaking of boxes, behold:



Jo's box is on the left, mine is on the right (with my customary water bottle... I carry those puppies everywhere anymore!)

I looked down at our boxes of peaches and said, "Your peaches are so much bigger than mine!"

Jo's response was, "What can I say? I have a type."

I came back with, "Yeah, big and beefy. Whereas, CLEARLY, I'll take whatever I can get."

True story.

(For those of you who haven't met Jo's husband, you should know that he's a GIANT. ... Whereas my husband is ... well ... MIA. As in, "I'll take anything I can get." ... We crack ourselves up.)

Another thing that's important to note is that my box has more peaches in it than Jo's does. She's the mother of five. I shop for myself, and myself alone.

That's 8.5 lbs of peaches there in my box, kids. (The upside of having taken "whatever I could get" was that some of my peaches were perfectly ripe, some of them were close, and some of them were little peach boulders that have been ripening on my counter since Saturday.)

Years ago, my (favorite) aunt told me that she had experimented and had found that the exact number of peaches one could eat without experiencing *erm* unfortunate side-effects was four. (We're all about science experiments in our family.) I would like to announce to the www that I, too, have been experimenting with peaches and have found that - as long as you counteract the peaches with copious amounts of cheese, yogurt and bananas in your daily diet - a person can get away with eating 7.5 peaches a day. (Don't try 8. That's all I'm going to say.)

And if you'll excuse me now, there are three peaches on my counter that are calling my name. ... And I'm pretty sure I'm hearing a muffled sound coming from the pint of cream that's on the top shelf of my fridge, too.

No comments: