Monday, May 13, 2013

Retail Therapy

I had some interesting (by which I mean: sort of weirdie) conversations with a few people during the holiday season last year regarding my single status. You heard me. I had more than one person make an assumption that Christmas was a hard holiday for me, because I don't have a boyfriend/husband or children - and then take me aside and express sympathy for my situation and ask how I was doing.

Uh... I was doing AWESOME, thanks! I looooove Christmas! I mean, a lot. I love it a lot.

While I will agree that having loved ones to share the holidays with makes things a different kind of magical... by no means do I have a miserable time mid-November through January 2nd, because I am all alone in the world. In some ways, I'm pretty sure that I have an even better time, single, than I would have coupled and/or with little people in the house.

A few of the perks of the holiday season at my house:

- I put the tree up on Thanksgiving and I leave it up as long as I want (it came down MLK weekend this year)
- Every family recipe is MY family's recipe (aka: I know and love ALL the holiday food over here!)
- I enjoy sole possession of the remote control, which means that White Christmas is on pretty constant replay for the entire month of December
- I can eat fudge for breakfast, lunch or dinner and I'm the only one with a sugar high
- Christmas shopping. Ohhhhhhh, the shopping.

Shopping for my friends, for my family. ... For myself.

I love to shop. Stores all decked out with tinsel and wreathes make me love shopping even more. And they put all the good stuff out there in the aisles. Jewelry, dvd's, books, clothes... ripe for the picking - all at a discounted price. I love it!

One of the best (seriously, best!) things about being single at Christmas is that you have it in your power to get every single thing on your wishlist. I'm not even kidding.

So, Christmas (the holiday season as a whole, really), being single is cake for me.

Mother's Day, on the other hand... Not so much.

And it's not like I don't have a rockin' awesome mother to celebrate. I do. I love her. I'm so grateful for her! I mean, every day, I am grateful for the home I grew up in, for the parents who loved me and raised me.

I love my mom, and I love that Mother's Day, every year, gives me the opportunity to tell my mother (and anyone else who'll listen) how much I love her and how grateful I am for her influence in my life!

Mother's Day also happens to be a hard day for me, because it is a reminder that I do not have the life that I thought I'd have.

Every year, Mother's Day breaks my heart a little bit. ... It's not like I don't love the life that I do have (see above for references to the sole possession of the remote control and the getting of every single thing on my wish list). I do. I love my life. I am SO grateful for whom and what I do have. I am a blessed girl who leads a charmed life, and I know that.

This is just one day of the year that is hard. One day that reminds me that there's something that I want that I don't have. ... Well, more than a day really. It starts a few weeks early, when the Mother's Day sales start hitting.

Which brings me back to the title of this post: Retail Therapy.

It's a real thing, people.

This year, when I started seeing Mother's Day sales being publicized, I thought to myself, "Self... They're putting everything pretty and girly on sale. You're pretty. You're girly. ... You'd be a FOOL not to take advantage of this!"

So, I shopped. Sort of a lot.

Three pairs of shoes, a new purse and wallet (actual patent leather instead of shiny plastic, thanks) and a pair of REAL pearl earrings later, Mother's Day was a lot easier to swallow this year.

Did the shopping make Mother's Day completely painless? No. No, it did not. But I did get to revel in all things feminine for a few weeks with complete justification that I could and should buy myself something pretty. And then maybe something else. ... And then maybe something else.

You get the picture.

Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy stuff. Specifically, pretty, girly stuff that goes on INSANE sales during the month of May.

Welcome to the way that I handle difficult situations. Don't judge. (Fair warning: If you do judge, I'm going to assume it's out of petty jealousy of my faaaaaabulous accessories. Take that!)

Retail Therapy: It doesn't actually cure all that ails a girl... but it does help to know that sometimes I can go out and buy what it is that I want. (Maybe by this time next year, I'll have found a man who'll buy me a baby. ... A girl can always hope!)

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

You know, as awesome as Mother's are, and as much as I do love to honor mine, I do have to agree with James that Mother's Day should be "Awesome Women's Day" to celebrate ALL the wonderful, awesome, incredible women in our lives that have influenced us for the better in our lives. Love and hugs to you, Cousin, and enjoy the spoils of your well-deserved retail therapy!
Jeanette

Sabrina Gardner said...

March 8th is International Women's day, so you can start shopping early next year. :)