Friday, June 21, 2013

365 Days

That's right, it's been one whole year since I had cancer growing inside my body.

Happy Anniversary to me!

Three years ago, tomorrow, I had my first cancer-related surgery. One year ago, today, I had (what I am hoping and praying was) my last cancer-related surgery.

6-22-10, Tumor #1
3-22-11, Tumor #2
6-21-12, Tumors #3 and #4

Call me OCD (go ahead, I promise you won't be the first), but I love to see patterns in numbers. It's (and I know this is going to sound a little weird, but it really is) comforting to me when I see patterns like this in my life. (Sidebar: my birthday is 10/21 and I had oral surgery to remove my wisdom teeth on 10/22/12. Again, with the 21st and 22nd. Awesome, right?!)

Here is what I know: the Lord loves me, and He knows me. He knows that, for someone who is truly TERRIBLE at math, I sure do have an appreciation for numbers lining up.

For me, the funny little coincidence of surgery dates (dates scheduled by staff in several different facilities, mind you) falling so closely together is not so much a coincidence, as it is a sign that there is a higher power out there.

To me, the dates are significant.

So many details of so many experiences have been significant, in their exact match to what I had asked for. (And I'm not just talking about that single, age-appropriate oncologist that I wheeled and dealed for with the Lord when I found out about #3.)

So many words that have been said, gifts that have been given, prayers that have been offered have been EXACTLY what I needed. So many friends have called, written or stopped in to visit over the last three years. So many nurses, so many doctors (and way too many anesthesiologists), have been exactly where I needed them to be, when I needed them to be there.

I haven't always gotten what I wanted (see above multiple surgery dates - I would have been fine, sticking to the first surgery in 2010 and never going back for more), but I have always had what I needed.

And you, my dear readers, have been a part of that. Thank you for having been invested in my life. Thank you for having shared the journey with me. Thank you for having given me what I needed, on so many levels, in so many ways. Over and over again, you have taught me so much about love and kindness and hope. I will be eternally grateful for the life lessons you have taught me by showing so much love. Thank you.

One cancer-free year down. ... Here's to 40 or so more!

4 comments:

Judy said...

There are no more words . . . So happy for you.

Mark said...

ditto

Penny Duncan said...

Praise the Lord!!!!!! Happy LifeDay!!!!!

l00pyscraftcreations said...

I am late come to this from your cousin, however I read all the posts before I came here, Ta GoD! Nice one!
xxx