Wednesday, June 12, 2013

I am pleased to report...

That my PET scan yesterday went off without a hitch.

For the first time in my life, I didn't have any scan-related stressors in my life on scan day. (To name a few stressors of the past: canceled appointment, broken machine and I had to walk - in socks and sans bra - to the other building on site that had a working machine, scar tissue in my good arm - in the one spot to put a needle - blocking the IV).

It was a glorious day.

I walked in. I exchanged pleasantries with Stella. I forked over 10% of the cost of said scan. The nurse came to get me, and told me I could leave my own clothes on. (Well... I had to take my bra off. Darn underwires. But other than that, I got to stay dressed as Laurie and didn't have to change into a gown and scrub pants. Hooray!) Dave the PET Guy was able to get the tracer in me with only one poke. (Very much unlike the 45 minute long torture-and-tear-fest that was prepping for my last scan.) Dave then left me with two warm blankets and a pillow and I slept for an hour in solitary while the tracer went to work. I got to pee in the "hot" bathroom (makes me laugh every time), and then made my way to the PET chamber. I got settled in, arms over head, and as Dave was wrapping my arms with yet another warm blanket, I fell asleep. And didn't wake up until it was all said and done.

True story.

One poke and the tracer was in. Slept for an hour whilst radioactive material raced through my veins. Slept for another 30+ minutes in a tube while the PET scan was measuring the affects of said radioactive material.

I guess maybe I should always get less than 6 hours of sleep the night before a scan, and then double Ativan myself before I go in to get poked. That was cake!

Super sleepy Laurie + drugs = easy peasy scan day! Who knew?!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

When do you get the results?

Laurie said...

Friday afternoon. :-)

Sabrina Gardner said...

Hooray for an easy test! :)