Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cue the music...

It's a small, small world.

Tonight, I opened one of the happiest/most fun emails of my life. (And I'm here to tell you, I've had some rockin' awesome emails in my time.)

My friend Jen forwarded me an email that her son, Zane, sent home from the mission field. I won't repost the whole thing, but would you check out this middle paragraph:

     So I was talking with my Bishop while helping somebody move and when it came up that I was from Snowflake he said he knew somebody from Snowflake a long time ago back in College at BYU. His friend ended up being none other then THE Laurie Evans!!! He told me stories of going to Denny's with her and he said that it was one of his favorite things to do in College. I could see how fun that would be with Laurie. So next time you talk to Laurie let her know that I am in Bishop Matthew Woll's ward.

Matt Woll.

Holy moly.

The memories are flooding in. ... And the water looks very much like this:


(photo courtesy of Amy's FB vault of pics - LtoR, Brent, Jared, Matt and Larry)

Matt was in my ward for, like, three years. He was the EQ Pres when I was in my first (and second) RS presidencies. I'm pretty sure that every other member of both presidencies I served with had a crush on the man - and who could blame them, would you look at him? (Julie and I were roommates at the time and we mourned, on a fairly regular basis, that none of the sets of brothers in our ward were tall enough for the two of us.) Matt's apartment, and his brother Craig's apartment, (they were next door to each other) were regulars at Sunday dinners, Christmas in July parties, movie nights, etc.

So many memories. So many good times. So many great people, living in a very small, tight-knit church community.

The BYU 3rd ward was life-changing, on so very many levels. I'm tickled pink that Matt Woll would not only remember who I am, but be able to tell stories to Elder Owens about the good times we used to have together.

I tell you what, I've been blessed - my whole life - with truly amazing people for friends. And this man, who is now a bishop on the other side of the country, working with one of my best AZ friends' sons, has always been one of my favorites. 

This game called life is such an amazing journey, isn't it? I love it when I get to actually, literally, see the ties that bind us to each other.

It is a small (and totally awesome) world. I love it!

1 comment:

shana said...

Oh my goodness. This was such a fun post. What an awesome blast from the past. That was SUCH A FUN WARD!! Some of my best memories are from that time. :)