Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Three things

Tonight, I am full to the brim with happy thoughts about the city I live in.

I'm not even kidding. ... I really am.

I'm pretty sure I could go on and on about all the stuff I love (listen, when I'm all giddy and happy, I could just about EXPLODE all over people with joy), but due to time constraints (I should have been in bed an hour ago), I'll limit this list to three things I LOVE about the city I live in.

1) Tempe Town Lake



I love it.

I mean, I LOVE IT!

I drive past the lake every day on my way to and from work. I can never decide if it's prettier with the sun on the water (as it is here) or after the sun's gone down, when the twinkle lights are on the water.

2) Whatever those yellow flowering trees are...


I love those silly yellow flowers. I have NO IDEA what kind of trees those are, but I know they're everywhere. And I love them. I love that I get yellow flower dust in my hair when I walk down the street. I love that little yellow flowers fall down into my car if I leave my window open for 30 minutes. I LOVE THEM!

And, tonight, I realized that, even in the dark, those little flowers are just... well... perfect.

3) Classic movies in the theater.

I love that I live no more than two miles away from two different theaters, and that BOTH those theaters run classic film series. Last week, when I was home visiting with Uncle John, he mentioned that he's seen The Sound of Music a dozen times - and at least half of those were in a theater. ... I countered with I HAVE NO IDEA how many times I've seen The Sound of Music, but I do know that I've seen it TWICE in a theater. (No small feat for someone of my generation, I like to think.)

I'm so grateful for the opportunities I have had to see movies that I love - movies from my childhood and adolescence - on a big screen again.

There are few things that I love like I love going to the movies, and when the movie that you're going to see is as familiar as an old glove... well, that somehow makes it even better.

No comments: