Monday, July 28, 2014

The Bake Sale

Last week, I showed you some super cute pics of my little cousins and told you about how they were doing a bake sale fundraiser for me in Utah.

I so love those kids. And their moms. And their aunts. And basically, everyone else they're related to. (And their friends - the girls' friends, and their moms'/aunts' friends - because this bake sale was very much a community effort.)

I love people.

But I especially love these people:




On Thursday, Beth's kids and Julie's kids got together at Julie's house to practice their face-painting skills (some of Jule's girls can get a little morbid... we love it!) and bake carrot cake and peanut butter bars and other things that I can't remember (probably because I mostly coveted the carrot cake and peanut butter bars, so they stick in my mind better), while Lisa (aka: Anna) baked over 10 dozen cupcakes and Christie churned out approximately five dozen loaves of bread at her house.



(Sadly, I don't have pics of the loaves and loaves of bread at Christie's. But trust me, it happened.)

Saturday morning, everyone woke up early to frost the goods that were baked the day before, and... voila:



I had to do a close-up of the lavender cupcakes, because they made me cry. Just a little.

For those of you who I haven't had this conversation with... There is no "cancer ribbon color" for Liposarcoma. It's not a cancer that occurs often enough to have its own color recognition. But lavender is the color for ALL cancers. ... So, it makes me get a little teary when I see people using it. Cancer is such a horrible, awful thing. But... it unites people in a way that I don't think any other diagnosis does. And so, to me, lavender speaks to - and for - all of us whose lives have been affected by the cancer.


And here's a closer pic of the signage:


How cute is that sign? I love that the kids drew pictures to detail all of the things they were doing/selling at the fundraiser!

Beyond all of my AMAZING family who donated their time and talents (none of whom do I have actual pictures of... food and face painting pics of the kids, I have, but none of the actual women who made this happen), I also have totally awesome friends who attended said bake sale.

The first family on site, when they were still setting up:


Yeah, those are the Woods. Of Sunday dinner fame. I love them!

A friend I've had for my entire adult life and her sister who drove down from SLC:


Jenni and I worked together at the bank in Provo, and were instant friends pretty much her first day on the teller line. (She quoted Thoroughly Modern Millie. I quoted back. And a friendship that was mean to last through the ages was born.) Lisa was in high school at the time (that's right... she's not in high school anymore), so while she was also a CB-er, she came to the bank a little later in life. I love these women. They're some of my old vacation buddies (you know, from the old days). Central Bank Chicks Forever!

And my adopted sister-in-law, Kim, all the way from New Jersey! 



(Yes, Judy. It's a real place.)

Kim is Dean's sister (Dean of The First Family in Attendance... scroll up). I so love the Wood family! I tell them all the time that they are the reason I'm still single. (I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to find another family that I love as much as I love theirs, so it seems pointless to even try.)

Friends and neighbors of my cousins (also, cousins on their other side) came out to support them in helping me.

I'm telling you... I can't even say what it means to me to have the support of so many people, in so many places, in so many ways.

(Typing through tears now, fyi.)

The cancer is a horrible, awful, terrible thing. I hate what it does to my body, but... I love what it does to my life. The love that I feel is real. It is a tangible, moving force. I'm grateful to more people than I could ever possibly thank.

I'm lucky to have an army of people supporting me, from all corners of the world. And most of the generals in that army are people that I am related to.

Thank you, Cousins. I love you all more than I can say.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hi Laurie! My name is Kim. We've never met in person, but we share a dear friend, Jenni Dickerson. Isn't she amazing? She turned me onto your blog several months ago and I have just fallen in love with you (in a non-creepy sisterly type of way ��). Your faith and your strength and your positivity, despite your heavy trials, truly inspires me and makes me want to be a better, more grateful person. You have touched my heart and I just wanted you to know that I pray for you daily, and you are often on my mind and in my heart. May God bless you in your journey, and continue to pour out His love and peace upon you. ❌⭕️❌⭕️

Jenni said...

Yummiest cupcakes, and cookies, and carrot cake, and bread, and caramel apples ever.

Not that I ate it all myself...