Monday, September 8, 2014

When it rains, it pours.

The Neon may well have met its watery grave today...


Only time (and the body shop's estimated cost of repairs) will tell.

We had a record-breaking rain here in Maricopa county last night.

For real.


That was the I-10 this morning.

To clarify, the pic of the Neon is in my own parking lot. Not only did I not hit the freeway in my little car... I couldn't get IN it, my own self, to move it from where I'd parked last night. This pic was taken this afternoon, when I got home from work. The water was about 1/3 up the doors this morning, and had flooded the inside of the car up to the top of the seats. (My one regret about this day is that I didn't get a good pic of the inside of my car this morning, while there was still a river running through it.)

I've called my insurance company. Filed an "Act of God" claim. Got transferred to the Catastrophe Team (seriously, that's a DEPARTMENT at State Farm!). I picked up a rental tonight on my way home from work. (God bless Joshua and his truck for... once again... coming to my rescue. He dropped me off at the bank on his way to work, and helped me get to Hertz on his way home. I seriously don't know what I would have done without him!) Tomorrow morning, my car will be towed to the shop and they will determine whether it'll cost more to fix my car than it's worth. (Honestly, my thoughts are that it would probably cost more to clean my car than it's worth. The water that dude's been sitting in all day is pretty grody. Oh, and I think he's probably worth about $300.)

I'm not sure how to feel.

On the one hand, that car's been sooooo good to me. For the last 13 years. So, I hate to see it go.

On the other, I've been driving that car FOR THE LAST 13 YEARS. (And it's been literally a pain to get into and out of since my first tumor. It's so low to the ground that I practically have to fall into it. ... And getting out is, I am not kidding you, a seven-point maneuver that usually ends in a grimace and/or an expletive.) So, I'd love to replace it with something that's higher from the ground. My sad little body's had it with the 4-door sedan.

My emotions have run the gamut today.

I've been cracking up laughing, all day long, about the river that was running through my car this morning. I actually think it's SO funny that so much damage could get done overnight, in a parking lot, by rain. IN THE DESERT.

As much as I'd love to have a reason to buy a new car... it also makes me want to throw up to think about adding another expense to my life when... frankly, it's already pretty expensive.

I've decided to pray that the Neon will make it. If only because I'm pretty sure my medical expenses are going to take another nose dive in the next couple months... and I'd really rather NOT be out another $200-$300 a month for a car payment in the foreseeable future.

As much as I'd really like one of those cute little baby-sized SUV's, I'd really rather keep my crazy old car that's been paid for for almost a decade...

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness! That does NOT look like fun!

Evvie Turley said...

I am going to pray that your insurance company grants you a big fat check to cover an entire new ride for you! That would only be right! I cannot believe the pictures; the amount of rain is incredulous!

Genevra said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. I just don't even know what to say other than I love you and I am praying it all turns out well for you.