Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Two Days Later

I'm pleased to report that I've been actually AWAKE for this whole day. I'm still so gol' darn tired that I can't manage to do more than sit really still and breathe, but I've been awake. Which is more than I can say for the first two days home.

Monday, I was home around noon and woke up for meds every six hours. Other than that, Sleep City. Tuesday afternoon, I had an appointment with MD to get a follow-up shot (something about increasing the white blood cells). I was up long enough Tuesday morning to shower and wash my hair (I'm sorry to say, it's already changing). I got back into bed and slept until Jo came to taxi us to the doctor.

Had a brief scare at MD when my initiall resting heart rate was 120. Sat there for a while, while they watched my vitals.

Today, really, all things considered... has been good. I didnt get dressed until 3, when I was PLANNING on getting dressed by 11. On Monday, I'd given my body an ultimatum of being back to normal by Thursday. (I figured a week for a round of chemo should be sufficient.) Now, I'm still hoping for Thursday... but I've amended my "normal" on Thursday to "being strong enough to send two emails and walk outside".

The amount of sheer tiredness is... exhausting. I've honestly NEVER been this tired in my life. And I've been plenty tired. I'm burning a low-grade fever at all times, trying to push the poison out of my sad little body. I've somehow lost 10 pounds in a week, all the while, having literally GALLONS of fluid pushed.

I don't get hungry, but food still tastes good when I eat it, and I am grateful for that.

Luckily, no mouth sores so far.

I still have my hair, but plan to cut it in ponies - to preserve it for a wig.... still looking for that wig maker, so if anyone knows something, please feel free to chime in - and then we'll shave the head this weekend. Hair generally falls out between 2-3 weeks after chemo, but I have a friend who lost hers at 10 days. I'm quite confident we'll be able to get the hair bagged and tagged before it starts to fall out.

I am tired, but I'm grateful for all the medication that's made this as easy as it could be. I shudder to think what cancer patients had to go through twenty years ago. The pre-meds and the post-meds have saved me!

1 comment:

Evvie Turley said...

I'm so glad you are keeping us updated on this process. I just feel for you so much! This is a crazy, wild ride you're on right now. I hope and pray you feel the love we're all sending daily. I can't say enough how much I admire your strength and am in awe of the grit and determination you have. I love you.