Friday, April 10, 2015

FREEDOM!

So, I saw Dr. H today. He was charming, as usual. Told me again (he said the same thing at my last appointment) that he thinks chemo's been good for me, that I look better than I ever did with hair on my head.

Isn't he sweet?

(Insert eye roll here.)

But I still love him. Mostly because... drum roll please... the man is giving me the weekend off.

Did my last round start 3 weeks ago, today? Yes, it did. Does that mean that I should technically start again today/tomorrow? Yes, it does. But I don't have to go back in until Tuesday.

TUESDAY!

That's four days from today!

Can you hear the angels singing? Because I sure can.

And on top of having a four day reprieve, I've been released to go back into public over the weekend. (I could cry, I'm so happy!) Outside of being a titch anemic, my blood work came back A-OK. My red and white counts are good enough that I've been approved to leave my apartment in search of some clothes that will fit better, dinner at Spinato's (my favorite!) and maybe even a movie over the next couple days.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for a few extra days of feeling decent.

This time last week, I was thinking this is the hardest thing I've ever done. (And last week's me was right. It is.) But one of the serious perks of the chemo is the few days of feeling almost normal at the end of the cycle, and this round, I get four extra good days. Halle-freakin-lujah!

Oh, and another thing he told me this morning... This time we'll do 3 rounds of chemo before there's a scan. Since the scan after the first two rounds showed that the chemo is working, he wants to push my next scan out for another round. (He indicated that the further we go with this, the more space there will be between scans.) So, round four will start on 4/14 and round five will start on 5/6, and three weeks after that I'll have a scan to confirm that the tumor's still shrinking. (Around Memorial Day.) I don't really love that we're throwing another round in there before I have confirmation of shrinkage, but it just is what it is. I don't get to make the rules (uh... obviously, because if I did the rules would look more like "eat chocolate every day, and wash it down with a Dr. Pepper or four"), but I have complete trust in my doctor who is making the rules, so I'll roll with it.

No comments: