Thursday, April 23, 2015

Some days...

...are harder than others. Some days, I feel sicker and weaker and the pain is so bad that I can hardly stand over the kitchen counter as I shovel in just the noodles and carrots from my beloved Progresso Chicken Noodle Soup.

These are usually the same days that I get the hiccups because my body is too tired to deal with reality.

These are the days that I spend in bed.

But my bed is pretty sweet, and I have the most excellent views... so, outside of whining for a minute about how much the hiccups hurt when a girl has sores in her throat, I don't have too much to complain about.


I have sunshine, and a water view.


I have more books than I can read, more shoes than I can wear, and multiple bags for every season/outfit.


I have Blue Bloods to keep me company.


And more scarves than your average department store.


I have this sweet view into my kitchen. What you may not be able to make out, but what I know is there: a "Friendship is Priceless" plaque that my First American coworkers gave me when I moved to Mesa nine years ago (their signatures are all over the back of it), the green and white dishes that were my Grammy's first set of dishes when she went to college in the late 1930's, the two small square paintings that hang over my kitchen sink that were in my Grandma's mint green kitchen my entire childhood, and the Bacon sign my faux cousin sent me for my 40th birthday. (Oh, and a lot of meds, more than one set of salt & pepper shakers and some nail polish.)


A print of Mary and the baby Jesus that I always intended to hang in a nursery. But since the nursery dream hasn't happened, they watch over me. A clock that Julie and Everett got for free from RC Willey, but Everett didn't  like, so I inherited it. (I love it. It has a solid tick tock, and I am a woman who loves the sound of a ticking clock. So much so that I have a ticking clock in every room of my tiny little home. I find the tick tock grounding. It soothes my occasionally troubled soul.) And a walk-in closet full of more clothes than I'll probably ever wear.

So, it's a day that I am immobile and bedfast. But I am in a room that I love, surrounded by things that are near and dear to my heart. On days like this, I am grateful that I CAN just lie in bed, that I don't have to leave the house to go to work, that I have been blessed to be able to stay in my own tiny little home as I do this - the hardest thing my body has ever done. I am tired, and my body hurts, and I want/need this day to end in a solid night's sleep, but I am alright. Because I am here.

2 comments:

Genevra said...

I am so sorry that you are in such pain. :( I will tell you (again) that I am in love with how you display your shoes. Such a brilliant idea. I hope you get a full nights rest.

shana said...

I love you cousin and I LOVE that the bacon sign has a place of honor in your kitchen. I hope you get a great sleep tonight. I love your positive attitude. Once again, you amaze me with being able to see the bright side of things!!! :)