Wednesday, May 6, 2015

May 6th

Today was supposed to be the first day of round five.

It wasn't, though.

Instead, it was the day I was able to walk for 15 minutes in the sunshine and feel the breeze on my face, on my bald little head, and in my ears. (One of the weirdest things about losing my hair has been learning how sensitive my ears are. Ha!)

Today, I was able to walk outside AND take a shower in my own bathroom AND clip my toenails with a nail clipper like a normal person. (When I'm in a chemo cycle, the clipping of nails is forbidden, because of the increased risk of infection if my skin is accidentally cut. So, I've been filing my toenails for the last three months. That's right, I've been FILING MY TOENAILS. It's been real awesome. But today, I got to cut them. Halle-freakin-lujah!) And now, I'm going to sleep in my own bed.

I'm so grateful. I still have some aches and pains and the mouth sores on the left side of my mouth still have a presence, but I was out of bed almost all day today. I was able to walk. I took a shower and put on real clothes, and I'm hopeful that tomorrow I'll have enough umph to paint my newly trimmed nails.

Today started and ended (and middled, too) very differently than I'd expected it to. I'm nowhere near what is ACTUALLY normal, but I'm a lot closer than I was even 48 hours ago. Life is good.

No comments: