Case in point: I woke up this morning about 10 minutes before my alarm went off and I thought "I could use this time to make a pie crust!". (Yeah, I know. I'm super ambitious in the AM. Ambitious... and unrealistic. But I did have the extra 10 minutes and I did need them, as I have a super crazy packed day Friday, and I have the Julie and Julia party at Myra's on Saturday .... to which I am taking a Raspberry Bavarian Cream.
Why am I making a Raspberry Bavarian Cream? Because it was, hands down, my favorite delicious looking dessert in the movie. (When she dropped it, I gasped. Then teared up. Then thought, "I'd totally eat that off the floor!".)
Anyway, so... I'm taking a Raspberry Bavarian, and in looking up recipes online what I was seeing is you make the cream and you sugar the raspberries and then you fold it all together and throw it in a baked pie shell. Berries can be crushed and sugared in the blink of an eye - and I can whip heavy cream while I'm berry crushing, so I wasn't too worried about that piece, but the pie crust? That was going to take time to mix, and then time to shape, and then time to bake. Add to all that time the time I would need to have it cool before I put said berries and cream into the shell... And I thought "Oh, yeah. I'll just whip that crust out this morning, then I can finish stuff up on Saturday before the party, after work. That's a great idea!" (Not.)
So, I went to the kitchen, and I turned on the oven - and I got out the butter, and pulled out my favorite green glass pie pan ("while I really do prefer emeralds, we could have made it on green glass"), pulled out my fav rolling pin (I have three), measured out the water, washed off my pastry cutter, measured my flour...
And dumped it right into the pie pan. Like an idiot.

And then, as if having dumped the flour into the pie pan itself wasn't brainless enough, I stood there looking at it, thinking something along the lines of "that doesn't look right...". (I only wish I were kidding. I, sadly, am not. Not even one little bit.)
After about a few seconds of blank staring at the pie pan full of flour, I laughed out loud (took a picture, because I am my mother's daughter), dumped the flour into the bowl I was going to mix the crust in... and I got to work.
30 minutes later, my kitchen was smelling buttery and delish. See the finished product below.

I am SUPER EXCITED to make the raspberry deliciousness that will be poured into this shell, come Saturday. (And when I say "SUPER EXCITED", I mean it. All caps and all.)
You know I'll do another post after I actually make the filling. I live for taking pics of fabulous food, as we all know.

6 comments:
LOL! That is just...AWESOME! I have made the SAME white gingerbread recipe like 10 times -- and 8 of those times I've forgotten something and had to put everything back in the bowl to add the missed ingredient. You'd think I would learn! And I can't even use "just woke up" brain as an excuse!
Ack! I'm not going to be able to make it. I would love if you made one for me to... um... maybe to try it out on?
You make my heart happy! :)
I am so impressed with your finished product - and don't worry about being an idiot in the morning - I would have done that during the day, fully conscience!!!! I love Julie and Julia!!
My rescheduled, does that mean that pie will come to my house???? (Pretty please with sugar on top) YUMMY!
I just watched Julie and Julia for the first time last night. It is a very good movie and made me want to eat all the delicious food. I am jelous that you are making that and I cannot eat it. You need to move close so that I can go over to your house and eat all the delicious food you make. :) Love you.
Post a Comment