Friday, March 19, 2010

Movies you must watch.

If you haven't seen these - you must. If you have seen them, but it's been a while - for crying out loud, watch them again.

Honestly, I love these three movies. All for very different reasons, mind you. But I love them equally, nonetheless. (Kind of like how my parents love all 6 of us kids equally, but differently. Except these are movies and not children... But other than that, I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same kind of thing. I think.)

Anyway...

First off, let's have a little talk about Ocean's Eleven.


Oh, my heart, I love this movie. It has the best mix of RIDICULOUSLY GOOD LOOKING MEN (we all know how I feel about a man in a good suit, yes?) and some of the best witty dialogue of all time. Case in point, see the opening below.


Parole Board Member #1: Mr. Ocean, the purpose of this hearing is to determine, whether, if released, you are likely to break the law again. While this was your first conviction, you have been implicated, though never charged, in over a dozen other confidence tricks and frauds. What can you tell us about those?

Danny: As you say, ma'am, I was never charged.

Parole Board Member #2: Mr. Ocean, what we're trying to find out is was there a reason you chose to commit this crime, or was there a reason you simply got caught this time?
Danny: My wife left me. I was upset. I fell into a self-destructive pattern.

Parole Board Member #3: If released, is it likely you'd fall back into a similar pattern?

Danny: She already left me once. I don't think she'd do it again just for kicks.
Oh, my word, I love Danny Ocean. I. Love. Him. (And this movie.) The End.

Okay, and now we can have a talk about Return to Me.



Another movie that I simply adore. Why? Because the characters are so fabulous. From the grumpy, music loving old men, to the widower that makes my heart break... (Ahhh, David Duchovny. Be still, my beating heart.) Oh, my. I love this movie. It's one of the few movies that I know that can make me want to wail in despair (the scene with him and the dog, falling asleep by the door, kills me - and we all know that I am not even 10% dog person), but also can make me giggle with delight (the scene where she fills the bottle up with tap water? I LOVE IT!). Good gravy, I love this movie. I love it for the storyline, for the writing, for David Duchovny in jeans (can I get an "amen" to how good he looks the first time we see him on site at the zoo, people?). I love how sweet Minnie Driver's character is, how she rides her bike everywhere she goes. Good gravy, I love this movie!

And now let's bring up another all time fav - Runaway Bride.


Oh, this movie makes me laugh out loud. And, again, I love the characters. I like the main two characters, of course, but what I think makes this movie truly shine is the supporting cast. Not to mention, it has some of the best one-liners, EVER.

"I'm Peggy Flemming - not the ice skater."
"Wedding cake freezes, this we know."
"I have a fact for you, an actual fact."
This movie makes me laugh - it even makes me cry. And it always (ALWAYS) makes me happy that I know how I like my eggs. (Answer: I like eggs lots of ways, but over easy is my favorite - except for Benedict, which I think is really so much more about the Hollandaise than it is about the poached eggs.)

Seriously, people - these movies, I love them. If you haven't seen them, do. And if you need to invite me over, so you'll have me there to crack up and/or cry in the appropriate parts with you, by all means... invite me over. I'll bring a treat, even!

7 comments:

Malori and Jon Saline said...

All of those are on my list of favorite movies ever!!! You have great taste!!

The Spencer Family said...

Love all of these--but especially Return to Me!! I was nodding and saying, "mm-hmm, yep!!". Cousin Laurie--you have some good taste in movies!! :)

***LIZ*** said...

Did you know you can watch return to me on hulu? I love hulu.

Annie said...

Love all those movies, love you. Coincidence? I think not! :)

Judy said...

Love them all, Laurie! (Guess what? We just arrived in Phoenix. You're somewhere close, I know.)

Kimmie said...

Agreed! Great movies! Hey, I meant to text you, but I will just tell you now. If you don't have any plans on Firday night, Chickfillet is having a pajama night from five to eight p.m., so if you come in your p.j.'s you get a free meal! Such a good time! A lot of us are going! Come on!

Robin said...

... and Nacho Libre. oh, and Thoroughly Modern Millie. Those are awesome flicks and I bawl my eyes out every time I watch Return to Me.