Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Me & my fancy up-do's...

For those of you not familiar with the movie that inspired the title of my blogsite, let me just say... you must see Thoroughly Modern Millie. It's a treasure, in that it's one of the best sing-along musicals, as well as one of the most quotable movies of all time. (Plus, Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore? What's not to love?)

Anyway, I love that movie. (Clearly.) And one of my fav characters is Mrs. Meers. (She's a lunatic of a villain, but I love her.)

One of my last days in the hospital, I'd put my hair up in a bun, and the bun got a little high on the top of my head. I took a look in the mirror and thought "I bet, if I put some of my bendy straws in that, I'd look just like Mrs. Meers!". So, of course, I had to try it. Below is the result. Pretty smashing, if you ask me.



Fast forward to being home from the hospital just over a week, when I went out to dinner (Chinese, obviously) with my mom and brother. I was sitting by the window, and the sun was streaming in and I got a little warm. I reached into the middle of the table and grabbed a package of chopsticks. Just as my brother was asking if I "could really eat with those" (anyone who knows me knows he was just looking after my best interests - I need a fork, lest I dump all my food into my lap), I pulled my hair up and fashioned a makeshift bun with my two wooden sticks. My mom looked at me and laughed out loud, Kirk just shook his head. I didn't even care what I looked like - I was hot, man! We sat and talked for another half hour or so, then came back to my place. Hours later, I walked into the bathroom and laughed out loud. I'd totally forgotten I'd ever put sticks in my hair and was shocked at the sight. ... Of course, I had to take a picture.



I showed my mom the pic after I'd taken it, and said "Uhm... the flash is a bit much, I'm looking pretty pasty". Mom cut me off with "Yeah, like a geisha".

Awesome.

... And that's what's cracking us up over at my house these days. All this time, I'd thought I might have an inner Mrs. Meers trying to get out. Uh, no. It turns out, maybe it's an inner Geisha.

Yikes!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Oh. My. Gosh. LOLOF

Beth said...

Love the hair! You should wear it like that ALL the time! Shoo show, shoo show.