I had no less than three people tell me today that I just need to push myself harder. As in, "Maybe you just need to make more of an effort to do the things that are hard."
This makes me grumpy.
I will tell you why. I do make an effort to do things that are hard. Every day, I do hard things.
*Please note that I know full well that I don't have the corner market on doing things that are hard, or having to live in a body that just doesn't feel great all the time. I'm pretty sure that everyone I know struggles at least once in a while with having the energy (or will) to do the stuff that needs to get done.
Today, I am just really truly and seriously annoyed with this lecture. And the thing is, I know the people who told me this aren't trying to lecture me. I'm pretty sure they're wanting to encourage me, and are probably telling me what they think they would need/want to hear if roles were reversed. It's reminiscent of the lecture of the 2011 (when Tumor #2 made its grand appearance): "Think positive." I hated that damn phrase. HATED IT. (People, I'm telling you here and now that positive thoughts do not slay tumors. Now, I'm never going to discount the power of positivity, and I'd like to think that anyone who knows me knows that I make an effort to stay positive and look for the upside of whatever life hands me, but the cold, hard truth is that positive thinking doesn't make stuff - esp stuff like a tumor - go away. A cheerful disposition and happy outlook make it easier to handle the hard stuff in life, but they don't necessarily make the hard stuff just go away.)
Anyway, I'm annoyed. Annoyed, and glad that I have an outlet here where I just say what I'm thinking/feeling.
The End.