Wednesday, February 8, 2012

January 30

Yesterday afternoon, I found the perfect use of time and energy. I drove out to Spencer's and watched his kids jump on the trampoline. (A 45 minute drive did wonders for my weird energy and need to be busy. By the time I got there, all I could do was sit still and watch the kids play.)

While Spencer and Brea napped inside, I sat on the patio with Brea's mom, Janet, and watched the kids play. I was just blown away by how carefree they are. They're such happy little people, and I love them! The boys rode their bikes around the back yard, while Hillary sat with the big girls. It was a great day!

-----------------------------------

This afternoon, I have my next doctor appointment. I'm hopeful that, at the least, I'll get an official referral to MD Anderson. ... At the most, I'm hopeful that my current doctor will have had a chance to talk to the doctor he's referring me to and he'll be able to give me some kind of an idea as to what's coming down the pike.

The thing I'm truly excited about today, beyond ... you know, finding out what comes next in my current life plan ... is that I'll get to see my friend Diana tonight. Yippee! Diana is one of my best friends from home. We were true partners in crime all through high school. (We once packed every flammable liquid we could think of, along with some matches and newspaper, as we headed out of town on a school sponsored overnight trip. We spent the better part of our first night in the hotel locked in the bathroom, honestly trying to start our toilet on fire. I don't know what we were thinking - other than it would be "cool" to blow a toilet up. Never mind that if we blew the toilet up, we'd probably blow ourselves up at the same. Logic, we didn't really have. Fun, we had in spades.) Di was the one who taught me to dump salt packets into bottled grapefruit juice before drinking it. She introduced me to the world of eating ice cream out of a carton with a fork instead of a spoon. (It works better, esp if you like your ice cream rock hard, like I do.) She is my friend who would bailing-wire my car back together for me so my parents never wondered what I'd done that was making the bottom of the car fall off. Diana and I used to put her little brothers' clothes on as dress-ups, then we'd go into town and affect our "nerd voices" while we shopped at Ed's, or went to Maverick for a frozen yogurt. Diana can make me laugh harder than just about anyone I know. In the summer of 2010, she called because she'd heard that I'd had surgery and wanted to know what was up. We talked for a while. Her oldest was at scout camp for the first time. I said "I can't believe you're old enough to have a kid at scout camp!", she said "I can't believe you're old enough to have cancer!" Touche. ... This is why I love this girl.

Anyhoo, Diana lives in Utah now and I don't see her very often. It's been more than five years, sadly. But she came to Arizona last week to spend some time up in Snowflake with her mom. She's flying home tomorrow morning, but she's headed down the mountain tonight and we're gonna get to hang out. I'm super excited! I don't know that we'll blow anything up, rearrange the undercarriage of my car or dress up like nerds and go out on the town, but I can tell you right now that it's gonna be a good time (and ice cream will most likely be involved).

Good gravy, I love my friends!