Wednesday, July 4, 2012

July 4

Have I talked here before about my hometown and how totally awesome it is? ... Oh, I have? Well, I'm sorry, because you're going to have to hear it again. Brace yourself: My hometown is totally awesome!

I mean, A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

From the way that the baseball park is the center of the universe in the summertime (and this from a non-sporty girl who'd rather cut her own hair with sheep shears than watch a baseball game ... but I'll totally go to the ballpark with friends and get something from the concession stand ... because I heart SnoCones), to the Jennings Band and the firing of the anvil on the 4th of July, to the cashiers at the grocery stores who always remember my name (even though I haven't lived there in over 6 years).

From the sunsets, to the corn fields, to the irrigation water, to the smell of farm land...

To the people.

The people who gather around and support each other in times of trial and hardship.

Taylor is the best, and I could not be prouder to come from this tiny little town that takes care of its own.

Which brings me to the ultimate fundraiser that's being held in my honor this Saturday. ... And this, folks, is when you know you've hit the big time in my hometown. Because as awesome as a bake-sale in front of Bashas' is - and it really is pretty darn fantastic - a Navajo Taco benefit dinner  is like the Holy Grail of fundraisers in Taylor Town. (And I'm not just saying this because of my deep and abiding love of fried bread. ... Really, I'm not.)

The Navajo Taco Fundraiser




That's right. It's official. As we all know, I need help, and one of my favorite Taylor families has decided to do something about it. ... And because we all know that my favorite charity right now is ... uhh... Me, and that I have no qualms asking the general public (but esp friends from my hometown) for their hard-earned money, I've decided to help them publicize the upcoming event.

Katy Chee, Ruby Plumb and Velda Martin are the masterminds, cooks and beloved friends of mine who organized the fundraiser, and here are the details:

Date: Saturday, July 7th
Time: 11:30 AM - 7:30 PM
Location: Katy's house (500 E 12 N, Taylor)
Cost: $6 a plate, or $30 to purchase six plates to feed a family

They will be cooking in Katy's kitchen, and Navajo Tacos are available for pick-up (or delivery, within Taylor and/or Snowflake city limits) between 11:30 and 7:30 on Saturday. Walk-up purchases are welcomed, but pre-orders are appreciated, as that will help them gauge how many supplies they will need to purchase in preparation for The Big Day.

To pre-order, call: Ruby at 928-536-7469. If you're unable to reach Ruby, Katy will be available to take orders in the evenings after 5:00 at 928-229-0142.

Ruby has also hand-crafted a quilt that they'll be raffling off. Raffle tickets for the quilt are $1 apiece or you can get six tickets for $5. Tickets can be purchased at the time the Navajo Tacos are picked up, and the winner will be notified within 24 hours.

Note: If purchasing Navajo Tacos to feed your family of 11 isn't in the budget for you this weekend, but you still want to help or do something, do not fear. There are other, non-monetary, ways in which you can help/contribute. As mentioned above, the Navajo Tacos will be available for pick-up or delivery between 11:30 and 7:30 on Saturday. Delivery drivers are most certainly welcomed. Call Katy to make arrangements to help with deliveries, or anything else she might find herself in need of.

These women took it upon themselves to work themselves to the bone on Saturday in an effort to contribute to the Cancer Girl Cause. I have known them my whole life, and few and far between are the women in my life who are as Christlike, as self-less and as service-oriented as the Plumb girls are. I love them!

So, please... Please, help these sweet ladies help me. Be it through downing a plate (or three - I won't judge) of fried bread covered in beans and cheese and other goodness, in purchasing a raffle ticket, or in helping them by being support staff behind-the-scenes. Whatever you can do, however you can help... it will be appreciated.

In advance, I thank my loyal (and local to The White Mountains) readers for your help in getting the word out, and  your support of this fundraiser this weekend.

*Lest any of you sweet readers think that I cooked such a delicious looking Navajo Taco in my current state of weakness, purely to be able to take a picture and post a visual online (also, I don't want to be sued for using their image), I must disclaim: Picture of Navajo Taco courtesy of Taste of Home (http://www.tasteofhome.com/).